Monday, October 02, 2006

Cover Girl

My name is Kristi and I enjoy Dave Matthews and long pieces in Section D.Here's what was looking up at me from the front porch Saturday morning, a prominent shot of TU writer Kristi Gustafson plugging her piece on relationships. I have no problem with this, which is clearly aimed at boosting single issue sales among men. Guys are so uncomplicated that it just might work, regardless of what she's writing about. Women, on the other hand, are not so easy ---in fact, it could have just the opposite effect. After all, what are they going to do, put huge pictures of Fred LeBrun or Mark McGuire on the front page? Scary.

And what about Kristi and relationships?
I can't imagine dating someone who didn't like golf and/or Dave Matthews Band as those, um, obsessions basically dominate my life for a good six months out of the year. But I'd be even less attracted to someone who pretended to like these things. I'd rather a guy admit straight up he's never heard "The Stone" or he thought a slice was what you ordered from the pizza parlor on the corner, rather than something that haunts so many golfers.
There you go, boys. The golf lessons you can get anywhere, but to establish your Dave Matthews credibility, you'll need to get on the web and find some bootlegs. Best of luck from Albany Eye.