Monday, July 17, 2006

Love Silo

I'm endlessly fascinated by old abandoned places. More than once, my urge to explore derelict buildings, factory sites, and other artifacts of days gone by has landed me in trouble. Most recently, I was nearly arrested for trespassing after an excursion onto the grounds of a shuttered state mental hospital, but that's a story for another day.

That's why I found Cathy Resmer's Metroland piece on former missile silos in the North Country and Vermont so interesting. It's amazing to consider that them thar hills were dotted with atomic weapons ready to wipe out the Commies. It's also amazing that the story is relatively free of any moralizing or gratuitous lefty politics. It reads more like a travelogue, recalling days when we knew who the bad guys were ---and keeping them at bay was as simple as putting them in the sights of our missiles.