Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Up the River

When I get to the section for Best Blog in my Metroland Readers' Poll ballot, I may cast a vote for Upstream: A Mohawk Valley Perspective. The proprietor, Dan Weaver, maintains an interesting and eclectic site where you never know what you're going to find. For example, yesterday there was a review of the 1974 Peter Fonda classic Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry right next to Weaver's fine op-ed piece from the Sunday Gazette. Now that's unusual.

Among my favorite recent posts is one that reprints a famous passage about Charles Steinmetz from John Dos Passos' novel The 42nd Parallel. Another excellent piece you should read is titled Today I Spread Manure. It'll make sense when you get there.
Speaking of manure, you may have noticed that there's no shortage of crap on the internet. Upstream is anything but.