Friday, January 20, 2006

Tube Boob

If there were a field guide for intellectuals, it would tell them to earn street cred by blasting television. You'd think smart people would be able to find a more challenging target.

Metroland's Jo Page takes her turn this week, writing about how she succumbed to the intoxicating allure of the evil tube. It seems that she (gasp!) bought a TV and DVD/VCR combo for her bedroom and has since been hooked. I admit, I'm not smart enough to always understand the point of her columns, possibly because I watch too much TV, but she makes it abundantly clear what she thinks of her newfound brethren:
I'm not sure the switch from text to television is the right one for me. I'm afraid I'm going to end up using too much hair spray and quoting sitcoms. But it's time I get with the program. It's time I learn to surf. It's time I learn that when Oprah makes a book selection I should just sit tight and wait for the movie.
I get it. If you watch TV, you couldn't possibly read a book. This notion that it's cool to shun TV is getting a little tired, isn't it? Who hasn't been to a party where some egghead is droning on about not owning a TV set? I'd almost rather hear someone discussing 24. Almost.