Thursday, January 26, 2006

Cook the Books

How did I go from being an ambitious young person with a promising career to someone who writes this stuff? I think it has something to do with my disdain for management books. I can barely contain my loathing for business self-help books and the people who write them ---and while I find the idea of burning books a disgrace to humanity, if you told me we were going to burn some management books, I'd be there with my Zippo, a gallon of kerosene, and a case of beer. Maybe I should have forced myself to read one or two. Where is this going, you ask? To the Tech Valley Summit, of course.
The Chamber has announced that a featured speaker at this year's event is retired Honeywell International CEO Lawrence Bossidy, author of Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done, and its sequel Confronting Reality: Master the New Model for Success. Just typing those titles makes my eyes glaze over. Bossidy is one of those guys who thinks because he was successful, he needs to share his philosophy with the world; I'm here to tell you that you're wrong, Mr. Bossidy. We'd all prefer it if you'd shut up and go play some golf.