Thursday, December 15, 2005

Research Roundup

Holy crap! 80% of our viewers can't tell the difference between Jack Aernecke and Tom Mailey!Ever wonder how TV stations make important decisions about their newscasts? They do research, of course! Nobody talks about these super secret studies, but thanks to a reader, I managed to get a look at one that's going on right now.

Someone sent me a link to a survey called "Evening Talent Study" being conducted by a Canadian research company named Pollara. I was going to publish the link so you could all participate, but I woke up this morning and realized I could get my ass sued, so no poll for you. The study asks what you like and don't like about local TV news ---and then there are tons of questions about anchors. For example, they show a picture of Greg Floyd and ask if you can identify him. I checked off Terry McSweeney. It's the sort of thing that takes five minutes unless you spend time thinking about your answers.

Doesn't this seem like a lousy way to determine the future of your television station? Without much trouble, someone could take the thing ten or twenty times if they wanted to, or email it to everyone they know ---even people who work in the business. It may be cheaper than phone polling, the way credible polls are done, but I guess you get what you pay for.