Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Prime Real Estate

The TU ran a story last week about how The Gazette is now running small ads on their front page, and how The Record has whored out this sacred space with rather large ads ---but no, says the TU, our front page remains hallowed ground. Well, not exactly.
Maybe you've noticed those colorful stickers that are sometimes stuck to the front of your paper, the most recent one on Sunday, a promo for the TU's Easy Pay option. Not technically an ad, but it did mention Price Chopper. I've seen these in the past for people who are ostensibly advertisers, so I asked my media buyer friend, who said yes, they are selling those peelable ads, and no , they are not cheap.
I don't know about you, but I find that a whole lot more intrusive than some little banner ad at the bottom of the page. How prevalent is front page advertising? Check it out for yourself at Newseum's daily posting of the front pages of over 400 newspapers from 44 countries.