Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Sphere of Influence

Enough of bad Libby, let's talk about good Libby.

I've been pleased to find Libby Post's op-ed pieces in my copy of the North Adams Transcript ---I think the paper displayed some class in printing Post's bold commentaries on gay and lesbian issues in society. Good for them. On the other hand, I noticed that the paper missed one of her recent columns (February 10, 2005 - He Loves Us, He Loves Us Not), in which she takes New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to the woodshed for waffling on same-sex marriage.Eye placed a discrete call to an acquaintance in the Transcript's newsroom who said someone found the column "too New York." I'm not sure I agree. You don't need to know much about the Berkshires to know that sometimes it can feel like the sixth borough. And come on ---it's not like she was writing about the Yankees.